Most foreign nationals require a work permit to work in Switzerland. Obtaining a work permit and a Switzerland work visa depends on the type of nationality and your employment. Different rules apply to the citizens of EU/EFTA citizens, UK Nationals, and non-EU/EFTA citizens. In this post, I will describe the Switzerland Work Visa Process. In the 3rd quarter of 2023, 1.819 million persons of foreign nationality worked in Switzerland according to the Federal Statistical Office.
(78.9%) came from an EU/EFTA state or the United Kingdom and the rest from a third-party state (21.1%). It has three types of residence permits. Short Term Residence permits, long-term residence permits, and permanent Residence permits. Along with this non-EU nationals are also required to apply for the national or D-visa. It allows the holder to work in Switzerland for the duration that the visa is issued.
Join our WhatsApp Groups to stay connected with us.
Types of Switzerland Residence Permits
In Switzerland, the residence permit and work permit are generally considered the same.
Residence permits for EU/EFTA nationals
The various residence permits for nationals of EU and EFTA member states
- B EU/EFTA permit (Resident foreign nationals)
- C EU/EFTA permit (Settled foreign nationals)
- Ci EU/EFTA permit (Resident foreign nationals with gainful employment)
- G EU/EFTA permit (Cross-border commuters)
- L EU/EFTA permit (Short-term residents)
Residence Permits for non-EU/EFTA nationals
The various residence permits for nationals of Third-states (non-EU/EFTA)
- Permit Ci (residence permit with gainful employment)
- Permit F (provisionally admitted foreigners)
- Permit G (cross-border commuter permit)
- Permit N (permit for asylum-seekers)
- Permit S (people in need of protection)
Requirements of Working in Switzerland as a foreign national
The process of obtaining a Swiss work permit depends on the type of nationality.
Citizens of EU/EFTA member states
Thanks to freedom of movement, citizens of EU/EFTA member states can enter, live and work in Switzerland.
- Short-term employment: You do not need a permit if you work for an employer in Switzerland for up to 3 months
- Long-Term Employment: You must apply for a residence permit if you will work in Switzerland for more than 3 months.
Citizens of Non- EU/EFTA member states
Only qualified applicants, students, and graduates with a university degree and some years of experience may work in Switzerland.
Non-EU/EFTA nationals require a work permit, even for short-term employment. The number of permits issued is limited.
Citizens of UK Country
As the UK is not a part of Europe Now. The same rules apply to UK Nationals that apply to third-country nationals
Requirements for Switzerland Work Visa
As a non-EU/EFTA citizen, you are eligible to apply for a Switzerland work visa if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a skilled and qualified worker (manager, specialist) and you have a university degree, several years of work experience, and specific expertise.
- You already have a job waiting for you.
- Your future employer will apply for an appropriate work/residence permit.
- No EU/EFTA citizen could take the job instead.
- The annual quotas for Swiss work visas allow it.
How to apply for a Switzerland Work Visa?
- Finding a Job in Switzerland and the employer is willing to help or sponsor your work visa.
- Complete the Swiss work visa document file.
- Your employer applies for your residence permit in Switzerland.
- You apply for a Switzerland work visa in your country.
- The Swiss embassy/consulate in your country gives you your Swiss work visa.
- You enter Switzerland and you have 14 days to register at the Residents’ Registry Office through the local cantonal migration offices.
- You get your Swiss residence permit and are allowed to live and work in Switzerland.
Where you can apply for the Switzerland work visa?
People from non-EU countries can apply at the Switzerland Embassy, consulate, or VFS Global in their home country.
You need a job before you can apply for a Swiss work visa.
For more details on the Visa, process visit the official website: https://www.ch.ch/en/foreign-nationals-in-switzerland/working-in-switzerland/
Short-Term Student Programs in Switzerland:
- CERN Technical Student Program 2024, Switzerland (Fully Funded)
- CERN Administrative Student Program 2024, Switzerland (Fully Funded)
- UNIL Summer Research Program 2024, Switzerland (Fully Funded)
- How to Spend a Fully Funded Summer in Switzerland in 2024
- CERN Summer Student Program 2024, Switzerland (Fully Funded)