The Duolingo English Test is officially accepted by over 4500 universities and institutions worldwide, with more joining every day. DET is a standardized online English test proficiency test and it is the best alternative to traditional tests like the TOEFL and IELTS. The best thing about the Duolingo Test is that you do not need to visit the test center. You can take it online, from anywhere in the world. It is much cheaper than IELTS.
Many universities in the world as well as many scholarships are now accepting Duolimgo. Such as the Fulbright Scholarship 2025, and the University of Saskatchewan Scholarship in Canada. The Duolingo English language test is acceptable in countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, Europe, USA. Send your scores to an unlimited number of institutions for free. More details, on the difference between Duolingo and IELTS are given below.
All You Need to Know about: What is Duolingo English Test?
- Test Center?: Take Tests online anytime, anywhere.
- Time?: Finish in 1 hour and get results in 2 days
- Accepted by over 4500 universities.
- Send your results to unlimited universities for free.
Duolingo English Test Price
It was launched in 2016 and grew in popularity and acceptance at universities during COVID-19 with a price of $49. The current cost of a Duolingo Test is just $59.
- Convenient: Take the test online anywhere, anytime — no traveling to a test center or appointment needed
- Fast: Get your results within 2 days of completing the test, and share it with anyone, immediately
- Affordable: A fraction of the cost of other tests. Send your scores to an unlimited number of institutions for free!
Which Universities Accept Duolingo English Test?
The test is acceptable worldwide. You can check the list of universities, and countries where Duolingo is accepted.
Free Practice Test
You need to set up your account online and start an unlimited free practice test.
This table shows a comparison of Duolingo score vs TOEFL, IELTS, and CEFR.
Requirements for Duolingo Test?
It is an online test for which you have to sit in front of your computer.
- No other people present
- Good lighting
- No noises or distractions
- A reliable internet connection
- Windows or Mac operating system
- A front-facing camera
- A microphone
- A passport, driver’s license, or a government-issued ID
Setup and Test Duration
- Introduction and setup (five minutes)
- Adaptive test (45 minutes)
- Video interview (10 minutes)
Comparison between Duolingo and IELTS
|Language Learning Platform
|Standardized English Proficiency Test
|Adaptive computer-based test (2 sections)
|Four-section test (computer or paper)
|Adaptive exam & video interview
|Listening, reading, writing, speaking
|10-160 score (higher=better)
|1-9 band scale (each band=specific proficiency)
|4500 universities currently
|Over 10,000 institutions in 140 countries
|Higher test fee (varies by location)
|can be taken online from home
|Testing centers only
|Vocabulary & grammar drills
|All four language skills in real-life scenarios
|Generally considered easier
|More challenging, in-depth assessment
|Flexible, ongoing learning
|Structured preparation with dedicated study materials
|Best suited for
|Beginners & intermediate learners
|Academic study, immigration, professional settings
Duolingo English Test Website
Choosing between Duolingo and IELTS depends on your specific needs and goals. If your target university and program department accept Duolingo then I think you should go for it.